CALL FOR SCORES
2017 Ottawa Guitar Society
Young Composers Competition
New Music for Solo Guitar
The Ottawa Guitar Society welcomes submissions of unpublished new works for solo guitar.
• Participants must be Canadian and currently enrolled as a student and/or under the age of 30.
• Pieces must be for six string guitar with no electronic elements and must be from 5 to 8 minutes in length. Submissions must be composed for this competition.
• Scores will be created using Finale or Sibelius and submitted in PDF format to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Scores must contain the title of the piece only with no name. Participant names will only be included in the submission email and will be revealed to the jury after a winner has been selected.
• An audio recording must be included with the score. MIDI is accepted, but not preferred.
• $40 by cheque (made out to “Ottawa Guitar Society”), cash, or e-mail transfer to the above submission e-mail.
• October 1st, 2017 (winner announced on October 22nd).
• $400 and a premier performance by a select local guitarist at the 13th annual Guitare Alla Grande Festival in February 2018.
* The jury’s decision will be final.
Additional Stipulations (June 2016)
- All applicants must pay the registration fee prior to the competition deadline.
- The jury reserves the right to declare a no-contest.
- The organization committee reserves the right to cancel the competition should a minimum requirement of entries not be met. In this event, applicants will receive a full refund.
- Any unforeseen circumstances will be referred by the jury to the executive committee of the OGS for a final decision.
The society is pleased to announce that the winning score for our inaugural 2016 composition competition is ‘Astral Projection’ by Ottawa guitarist and composer Nathan Bredeson. The piece was premiered at the Guitar Alla Grande Festival in February 2017 by Daniel Ramjattan.
The society would like to thank all the young composers who submitted their work and the members of the jury for donating their time and expertise. We’re looking forward to the second edition in 2017!