The OGS is happy to announce the end of another successful year of our composition competition for young composers. This year the winning piece, entitled “Yeganeh”, was submitted by Toronto’s Sam Mason. Congratulations Sam! Come out to the opening concert of the Guitare Alla Grande festival in February to hear the premier of “Yeganeh” and also keep an eye out for the publication of the score from Les Productions d’Oz.
Many thanks to our judges this year: Patrick Roux, Christine Donkin, and Marlène Demers-Lemay. And finally, another big thank you to our competition sponsors, John Armstrong and Amy Brandon. We’re already looking forward to all of the submissions that we’ll get to hear next year!
CALL FOR SCORES
2018 Ottawa Guitar Society
Young Composers Competition
New Music for Solo Guitar
The Ottawa Guitar Society welcomes submissions of unpublished new works for solo guitar.
- Participants must be Canadian and under the age of 30.
- Pieces must be for six string guitar with no electronic elements and must be from 5 to 8 minutes in length.
- Scores will be created using Finale or Sibelius and submitted in PDF format to the following email: email@example.com
- Scores must contain the title of the piece only with no name. Participant names will only be included in the submission email and will be revealed to the jury after a winner has been selected.
- An audio recording must be included with the score. MIDI is accepted, but not preferred.
- October 1st, 2018 (winner announced on October 22nd).
- $400 and a premier performance by a select local guitarist at the 14th annual Guitare Alla Grande Festival in February 2019.
- publication with Les Productions d’Oz
* The jury’s decision will be final. Any unforeseen circumstances will be referred by the jury to the executive committee of the OGS for a final decision.
2017 – Intermountainous – Amy Brandon
2016 – Astral Projection – Nathan Bredeson